Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Stewed Tofu in Tomato Sauce

I used to look forward to the end of summer simply for the excess of tomatoes we’d have at the house. My mom had the greenest thumb and could make just about anything grow. One of the dishes she would make often for me after a fall harvest is her stewed tofu in tomato sauce. I think I’ve gushed about my love for tofu before so I’ll spare you that again.


For this recipe you will need:

• 5 tomatoes
• 1 small onion
• 2 green onions
• 1 package fried tofu
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp oil

Dice the tomatoes and set aside in a separate bowl. Cut the onion in half and slice into half moons. Cut the green onions into 2 inch pieces and set aside. In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, add the oil and sliced onions. Sauté for a few minutes until onion is translucent.

Add the diced tomatoes, sugar and salt. I always add sugar into any tomato sauce to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. Give everything a good stir and cook until the tomatoes break down, about 20 minutes. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated, about another 5 minutes.
Give your sauce a taste, add more salt or sugar if needed. Add in the fried tofu and continue cooking for another 5 minutes to allow the tomatoe-y (is that a word?) goodness to seep into the tofu.

Toss in the cut green onions, give it a good stir. Invite a friend over to impress her with your tofu prowess or just serve it to yourself on a lovely bed of rice. Enjoy!



images (c)CityGirlScapes

No comments:

Post a Comment