Friday, December 21, 2012

Django Unchained – A sorta review


I am in no way a fan or an expert on Tarantino films. I tolerated Kill Bill, I’ll idly watch Pulp Fiction when it’s on cable (my copy is still shrink wrapped and I’ve owned it close to 8 years) and don’t even talk to me about Jackie Brown. But the trailers for Django Unchained piqued my curiosity so when I had the chance to catch the prescreen last night, I did.

And I’m so glad I did. It’s very rare that Hollywood can get a western done proper and it seems as though they need years in between to churn out another one. Django Unchained is its own beast but you can’t help but compare it to There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men but it was also funny, much like Maverick. Surprisingly enough, for a film with a runtime of 165 minutes, it didn’t feel that long at all.

Each character was well casted and each showed why they are deserving of their roles. Jamie Foxx’s Django Freeman was believable, Leonardo Di Caprio’s Calvin Candie was the perfect villain. Christoph Waltz has such an understated comedic timing that makes his Dr. King Schultz so lovable. Coupled with Samuel L. Jackson’s Stephen, we were presented with a film that was funny, brilliant and showed a stand-off that only Tarantino can pull off.

If you're looking for a film to see this holiday that will ensure laughs from all, make it Django Unchained.

images from google images

No comments:

Post a Comment